Clerk of Superior Court
× Search
Sunday, April 18, 2021

Passport Information


The Clerk of Superior Court has been designated a passport application acceptance agent for new or renewed passports by the U.S. State Department.  We accept the completed applications (following the federal guidelines) and forward them to the U.S. Passport Service for approval and processing.

Passport applications are accepted Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

What you Need For a New Passport

Adults:  Adult passports are valid for 10 years.

  • To apply for a new passport, you must present a certified copy of your birth certificate and a valid picture I.D. such as a driver’s license or military I.D. with your passport application.  A certified birth certificate may be obtained from the Bureau of Vital Statistics in the state in which you were born.  The certificate is required to be sent with the application and will be returned with the passport.   Expired passports may be substituted for a certified copy of the birth certificate.  Picture bank cards or hospital birth registration certificates are not acceptable forms of identification.
  • If you are a Naturalized Citizen and have never obtained a U.S. Passport, your original Naturalization Certificate is required to be submitted with your application and will be returned with the passport.
  • You must provide one passport photo when applying for a passport.  This photo must be made specifically for your passport.  Many retail stores that have photo processing are able to do passport photos.  Family snapshots, portraits or school pictures are not acceptable as passport photos.
  • A photocopy of your proof of citizenship and valid picture ID is also required. If you do not provide these copies, you may purchase them for $0.50 per page through the Clerk of Court office.

Minor Children:  All children, even babies, must have a passport.  Minor passports are valid for 5 years.  Parents/guardians are advised to visit for detailed information regarding the passport application process for a minor child.

Minors ages 14 to 17:  Your child must appear in person.  For security reasons, parental consent may be requested.  If your child does not have identification of his/her own, you will need to accompany your child, present identification, and co-sign the application.  Parents/guardians are advised to visit for detailed information regarding the passport application process for a minor child.

Minors under 14 years of age:  Each minor child shall appear in person.  All applications for children under 14 years of age require both parents’ or legal guardians’ consent.  Parents/guardians are advised to visit for detailed information regarding the passport application process for a minor child.

The standard passport application form DS-11 and all other necessary forms are available at the Clerk’s Office or can be downloaded from the U.S. Department of State’s website.

Passport Fees

Changing a Name on a Passport

If you want to change the name appearing on your passport, you will process this request directly with the U.S. Passport Agency in Philadelphia, PA 19190-0107 with an Application form DS-5504.  The form for this request is available 3 different ways:

  1. The DS-5504 form may also be downloaded from
  2. Write to our Prescott office (locations) and request a “Passport Amendment/Validation Application.”  Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
  3. Pick up the form in person at our Prescott or Camp Verde offices.

Along with your application, you must provide a certified copy of the document identifying the name change, such as a marriage license, Order for Name Change, Divorce Decree or Adoption papers.

Passport Renewal

Renewal for Adults:

You must renew by mail if:

  • Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged
  • You received the passport within the past 15 years
  • You were over age 16 when it was issued
  • You still have the same name or can legally document your name change.

To renew by mail:

  1. Use the DS-82 Renewal Application form to renew your passport by mail. To write to our office for the application, send a request including a stamped, self-addressed envelope to our Prescott Office, or you may pick up the DS-82 form at either our Prescott or Camp Verde offices.  (office locations)
  2. The DS-82 form may also be downloaded from

If your passport has been altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail.  If your passport was issued when you were 16 years of age or younger, or more than 15 years ago, you also must apply in person.

To renew in person:

Renewals in person are made using the DS-11 standard form. Please bring your passport, one new photo, and your current ID.  Fees for renewals in person are the same as for first time applicants.

You may visit the website for further information on passport renewal.

Renewal for Minors:

A person who obtained a passport as a minor, but is now an adult must apply in person for a new passport.

A person who obtained a passport as a minor and is still a minor after the passport’s five-year expiration, may not renew their passport. They must apply for a new passport. If they are under 16 years old, they must also have their birth certificate showing both parents’ names. Parents/guardians are advised to visit for detailed information regarding the passport application process for a minor child.

How Long Will It Take to Receive My Passport?

According to the U.S. Department of State, “Processing times can vary depending on workload and occasional unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters. During busier times, such as the summer travel season, we encourage customers to expedite their applications if traveling in less than 10 weeks.”

Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2021 by Yavapai County Government
Back To Top